Gary - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe in doing what you want do with your life and not letting others control it. Ever since the sixth grade I had been playing basketball on a traveling team and had been taking it very seriously. My mom kind of made me do it, but I liked it, and I liked being good at it, for a while at least. Basketball kind of took over my life for a while. I had no free time on weekends, I did not have enough time to do my homework on school nights, and I never really cared about anything else. It was my life.

During the summer between eighth grade and freshmen year, I had slowed down and was not playing as often as I was before. I was not playing on a summer team like I did in the past. One day after school I was hanging out with some friends and having fun when my mom called me saying it was time to go to practice. It was at that moment that I realized that I really do not like basketball and the commitment it requires. I thought to myself, “Why do I play basketball if I do not enjoy it?” Then I started thinking. Why should I let my mom and basketball control my life and how it is not what I want to do with my life. I thought that I should start doing things that I enjoyed and wanted to do with my life, like playing the drums or skateboarding (at the time). I finished that basketball season and decided not to play for LT. I have not played organized basketball since then.

I believe that doing what you want to do and not letting others control your life is really what makes you happy. You should enjoy your life, and letting other people or other commitments might prevent you from living life to its fullest. I try not to commit myself too much too often. I know if I do not like it, I am still stuck with it, and I do not like having my life controlled by anybody other than myself. You should do the things that you like, not the things that keep you from finding happiness.