Jeff - Willow Springs, Illinois

September 30, 2006

This I believe.

I believe that working is an important thing in my life, even in the smaller and less important things I do, because it builds to my character.

When I was younger, about 7 or 8, I had to do work around the house all the time, or at least it felt like all the time. Before then, the laundry was automatically done, the house was always cleaned and vacuumed, and my lunch was ready to go with me in the morning. I was lazy when I didn’t have to do anything, but work made me get up, and do something worth my time. It made me get used to working harder, which was important, because it prepared me for difficult things in life and still will in the future. Work has also helped me appreciate what has been done for me in the past.

I recently got a job caddying. I didn’t know the first thing about golf, or caddying, but I started to do it just for the money. As time went on, I learned a few things, and gained experiences from having a job. I realized the importance of getting used to talking to strangers, and how to act around them. I also had the chance to experience how certain people can act whether they are friendly, or, not so friendly. Those aren’t really things I can learn just anywhere. Having a job has allowed me to take more responsibility for myself. It is pretty hard to wake up for work, because when I do, it actually comes down to which days I want to get up and work, rather then having a schedule. It sounds easier, because I can sleep in when I want, but having to convince myself to wake up, rather then having to have to wake up is harder, to me. However, it helps me to get used to making decisions for myself that are better for me, rather then doing what I want at the moment

I think school does the same thing for me. Each grade prepares me for the next up until college. Eventually, I will have enough experience to start a career, because of the years spent in school, and the things I will have learned along the way.

Many other people have realized the importance of work and how it builds character. For example, Warren Buffett, an investor, and the second richest man in the world, has decided rather then giving his grandchildren his fortune of about 44 billion dollars, he is going to give almost all of it away to charity. They will still receive millions of dollars, but that will only keep them comfortable, as they will have to work to make a living.

My personal example may not be the best at explaining how work builds on someone’s character, but I believe that we all need it in our lives, so that we can be successful.