Steven - Brookfield, Illinois

Parental Belief

Honoring your parents is one of the Ten Commandments that are broken too often. Everyday I see kids getting picked up or dropped off by one of their parents, and I wonder how much they appreciate that ride. I don’t think a lot of people realize how much parents actually help until we get older. I believe in honoring your parents, and showing them the respect they deserve.

You don’t realize how much you need your parents until one of them is gone. Whether it’s from a divorce or a death. The impact is great, especially if you don’t show enough affection towards them. You really regret doing a lot of things, or wishing you had done a lot of things. I see my friends treat their parents terribly, and I always try to correct that for them. Sometimes they completely ignore them, or disregard what they say. It’s not just sometimes; it’s all the time. Our parents might not mean that much now, but 2 or 3years from now we will thank them so much. Parents are leaders. They are friends, and they are values, they are assets that we need to appreciate. Because we don’t realized how much of an impact they really make, until they’re gone.

So when I see people being unreasonable or being unfair with their mom or dad, I just wish they’d keep the fact that they won’t always be there in the back of their heads. Even if we don’t agree 100% with them, they deserve some leeway just for putting up with us. A lot of the times we are nice to our parents, but they probably don’t see it all the time. Like on father’s day or mother’s day, days we’re expected to do nice things for them, but when they come out of nowhere, that’s when it really counts. And if we did something wrong just remember, to become old and wise-you must be young and stupid first.