Claire - LaGrange, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in timeliness but only to an extent. Sure there are certain times in which it is appropriate to act in a particular way and to show particular emotions but when it comes to showing someone how much you care or how much you love them, why wait for those situations to arise? More than anything I believe in not waiting to love people.

In May of 2005 my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer. This came as an obvious shock to my family and we were all very distressed and confused when we found out. At first I didn’t know how to feel. I was obviously extremely sad and scared but I didn’t quite know how to show the feelings that I had. I didn’t know whom to tell and I didn’t even know how to express to someone else those feelings that I had. So I kept them inside. I was so afraid of what could possibly happen to my dad as a result of this life threatening disease, that that I couldn’t bring myself to truly tell anyone, especially my dad how much I loved him and how much I would miss him should anything happen to him. I felt so vulnerable in this situation even though I wasn’t even the one at risk of losing my life. As my dad’s cancer treatment progressed and I saw how it was affecting him and the rest of my family, I grew more and more apprehensive and afraid.

Fortunately for all of us though, my dad got better and is currently cancer free. However, it wasn’t until after my dad got better that I really told him how scared I had been at the thought of the possibility of him dying and how much I loved him for everything he had done for me throughout my life. Had anything happened to him I wouldn’t have had the chance to tell him that though. I waited much too long to tell him these things and the regret that I feel as a result of that is immense.

This circumstance truly taught me that it is so important to tell people how much you love them before it is too late. More so, you never know when “too late” is going to be. Time seems to be of the essence in today’s world in more ways than one, and with that comes the need to tell and to show people your love for them while time is still in your hands.