Kathleen - LaGrange, Illinois

I never like losing things. Whether it be an assignment, a prized piece of jewelry or an old friend, I am comforted in knowing they are all in my range. One of the greatest disappointments is to think that I have let a friendship slip away from my presence, simply due to physical distance.

Sally is my definition of a childhood friend. We lived in the same apartment building, separated by only one floor. We spent practically every minute of every day in each other’s company. We walked to school together, we were in the same class together, we played dolls together, and above all, we laughed together.

Our time spent as friends in Paris seemed endless, until the day that separated us for the first time in our lives. As six year olds, we knew we were both moving back to America. But our knowledge did not spread around the idea that America is a huge country, with varying states. I was moving to Illinois, and she was moving to Washington. Still, at the time, the words meant nothing to us.

Until, I was on a plane to Chicago, she was on a plane to Seattle, and our paths wouldn’t cross for a couple of years. Her absence was devastating, and it took a while to recover from a friendship suddenly gone. But I knew I couldn’t omit her friendship from my existence.

I believe in the grasping and continuation of old friendships, despite the great distance caused by mountains, valleys, or possibly an ocean.

Even though my friend Sally and I live miles and miles apart from each other, it still means everything to me to stay in touch with her. Whether it be a letter, a phone call or an IM conversation, staying in touch with her keeps my life more complete and well – rounded.

Of course Sally herself is what I treasure about our friendship, but what her companionship represents to me is just as important. Staying in contact with someone who shared their childhood with me is what I find so vital about our friendship. The constant rekindling of an old friendship reminds me about the significance of the age of innocence, in which everyone was treated equally in my mind, school was meant for really comprehending material and after school activities were utilized for the pure enjoyment of having fun.

In remaining friends with an old pal, I believe that my life is fulfilled in many ways and reminded of how essential it is to take the time to reflect back. Without looking back to who my friends were or what my passions were, I will never be able to fully appreciate where I am today. And without allotting an occasion to contact and remember an old friend, a slice of life disappears.