Olivia - Troy, Michigan

Skin wraps tightly around bone and marrow, keeping our bodies safe from the elements and our hearts aligned without faltering. Eyebrows and eyelashes are really individual soldiers dressed in microscopic metal breast plates and are armed with sharp swords to fend off debris from our gates to the world. Our nails lengthen so we can scratch when we itch and our hair grows so we can change it when life becomes dull. Mathematics grew from the tips of our fingers because the number ten was already in front of us. We know this much is true. Ways of surviving was pre-programmed in our brains like blueprints laid out for an engineer and all we have to do is trust our instincts. Think back to the beginning, man was divided into hunters and gatherers and didn’t think beyond the basics. There was no fretting over which jeans to wear and no one knew what high definition meant and no one cared who became prom king or got a raise. Today society considers costly Gucci sweaters to be high end. Houses bigger than the Royal Palace but can somehow fit on Malibu’s swank coastline obviously signifies success. The rich flaunt and the middle-class yearn, we all want to make more progress in a material world. But take away all these distractions cluttering our garages and minds and find yourself again, go within your soul and according to some you can communicate with the soul of the earth. It will tell you it’s secrets because we are all written from the same hand. It will explain why trees have bark and why snow is the color of your Grandfathers hair. It will shed light on why total war is waged and who really took the cookies from the cookie jar because this is all relative, I’m sure of it.

Everything is slowly coming together in a monumental way and I no longer feel stupid when I ask my belly button the secrets of life, it is within us already and we grow stronger with it each second whether it’s a conscious decision or not. I haven’t heard all I want to know just yet, but I believe we can do without these material possessions. We can, but we won’t. We are not cavemen or barbarians anymore, our society gets more efficient each time we take out a loan on a third Mercedes. I too am victim of cosumerism, but take it all away, strip it down to the bare minimum until every solid piece of plastic is forgotten and every fiber of silk is lost and all we can see is a beautiful frontier made strictly from the land, and I would be all right. Writing is my passion, all I truly need is a way to collect and record my thoughts, and maybe an all-natural loin cloth to cover the bits. My roots are already planted into what I love and I’ve found the water I need to help them grow. The sun encourages me, the earth inspires me, my spirit reassure me. Branches are sprouting before my eyes and I can feel every time a new blossom appears or when the bark gets thicker. I am the only red wood in Yosemite park with bright pink buds blooming from twigs that refuse to break, and you can’t buy that in stores. My soul is one hundred feet tall and my vines are creeping towards the sky. I still have questions lacking solutions, but my calves have begun twitching and strands of hair are whispering against my ear, everything is blooming from within and my branches aren’t done growing. My answers should be coming any day now.