Chante - Princess Anne, Maryland
Themes: setbacks

Having Another Chance

My belief in giving chances is stronger than any another belief. Every person deserves at least one more chance because no one is perfect. A lot of times, people give up the first time they try something because they don‘t think that they are going to have another chance. I believe one should always strive to better themselves or improve upon wrongs doings.

Throughout my life, I have been given so many chances. There were several times when I took advantage of knowing I had another chance. At the age of twelve, I constantly stole from and lied to people in my family. I considered this to be one of the worst things that I could have done. Yet, every time I would lie or steal, no one held it against me. My dad would always ask me “What makes you think you have to steal?”, I would never answered the question, but in my mind I said the main reason was because as a child I was deprived of many things. Then one day I stole from the wrong person and found myself in juvenile detention. I was given another chance when my family came to bail me out. A lesson was learned and I never stole again.

In my second year of high school, I was given another chance. When I was in the 10th grade, I went to school two days a week. On the days I did decide to go to school, I walked the halls or slept in class. Geometry was a subject that I struggled with all the time. The fact that I didn’t do homework and failed multiple tests did not make my situation any better. I tried to get a tutor and I ask friends for help too. Honestly, a person has to want to help themselves before anyone else can help them. As the end of the year rolled around, I knew I had failed Geometry. The week before finals, my teacher and counselor approached me with a great offer. If I studied given material, passed an easy exam, the grade I received would be my final grade for the semester. I was overjoyed that I had another chance, and I did what was essential to be promoted to the 11th grade.

Regardless of what happens to a person or what someone does, they always deserve another chance. My belief in giving chances is very strong because I was given so many. The petty theft, stupid lies, laziness, and disrespectfulness have let me pass by and be in a good position. I have been given one of the biggest chances in life, and that is, to be successful. To this day people still continue to give me another chance and I am very grateful. For every wrong, there is a right, and for every person there is another chance! It is just something you have to believe in!