James - LaGrange, Illinois
Themes: sports

I believe in sports as a release from everyday life.

Every since I was a little kid I have been involved in all types of sports. Baseball, basketball, football, you name it I have played it. Baseball however is particularly has been my main way out for many years. But one summer when I was in fifth grade, my grandma who was infected with cancer passed away. It was a very sad point in my life. The concept that I would never get to see her again was a hard to grasp. Especially on major holidays, such as Christmas and Thanksgiving. The only thing that really seemed to matter was the game I loved.

Sports are able to take my mind off of the stresses of life. When I am out on the field everything disappears and all that matters is being the best I can be. No matter what went wrong earlier in the day it no longer exists. School work has always been a burden to deal with. On days when I have large amounts of homework I just look fore ward to hitting the game winning RBI or watching opposing batter swing and hit nothing but air when I pitch. To me it is the biggest thrill in the world to just be able to compete. With every pitch more and more focus goes into the game and less goes in to whatever else I have to do that day.

Watching sports can also be just as effective as playing. Every Sunday in autumn I look enjoy watching football all day. I could have a paper due the next day, but seeing a Bears win can take my mind off of it in an instant. Monday Night Football is another example. Commuters come home after a long Monday and kick back and relax while the game takes their mind off of the fact that it is still only Monday.

Whenever I play or watch a sport, nothing comes close to the roar of the crowd. Sports are one thing that many people agree on. Racism and prejudice are non-existent. The World Cup and the Olympics put wars on hold so people can enjoy their team and forget about the problems they have back home. The New Orleans Saints are another good example. Their city is destroyed but last Monday the Super Dome was packed with thousands of screaming fans cheering for their team. They could have spent the ticket money on food or supplies but they chose to watch a football game. Because like them I too believe that sports can take your mind off of any problem, even if it was a natural disaster.