Abigail - Western Springs, Illinois

On the first day of practice I had butterflies in my stomach, I was nervous that I wouldn’t know anyone and that I wouldn’t make friends. I had no idea what to expect. Cheerleading is “the” activity I love to do, and when I walked into practice on the first day, I sensed that everyone else there loved cheerleading too. Even after seeing this, I still was not sure if they wanted to get to know me. Although I didn’t know it then, a few of the girls that I met on the first day of practice would become my friends. Our friendship started because of the love for cheerleading that we shared. I believe that people should develop friendships with people that share a common interest. Over the past year I have learned to trust and bond with them, which has given me more strength in my everyday life.

The girls and I are there for each other, because we have all been through many of the same things. When tryout time came, we practiced together and supported each other through the stress and anticipation of the outcome. When you have friends that are in the same activities as you, they understand what you are going through and they help support you. The moment I saw my I.D. number on the posted tryout results, I knew that I wouldn’t have made it without my cheerleading friends helping me through the process.

We have helped each other with improving our skills. Over the weekends, we often get together to practice stunts, cheers, and to discuss halftime routines. Getting together to practice has not only been for skill building, but also for bonding. We have developed a sense of how each other feel by spending time with each other outside of cheerleading practice. That first day of practice I didn’t know what to expect and I was so nervous, but now I look forward to practice everyday and seeing these girls in the hallways at school.

It has been about a year since we first met. I know that we are all looking forward to the new season and I am confident that this season will be very fun. This year I won’t have to worry about not knowing anyone on the first day of practice. In forming relationships at the beginning of a season and strengthening friendship throughout the year, I know that these relationships will last for years to come. We have developed a bond that nothing can separate.

I experienced the benefit of building friendships and relationships with people that enjoy similar activities. By developing these relationships it will help you improve your skills, while you gain group support. When you look forward to spending time with each one of them you continue to enhance your love of the activity.