Clara - LaGrange, Illinois

I believe in having your own opinions. As a whole I think that American society takes this opportunity for granted. There are so many personalities, and so many things to do with our lives that sitting around taking others opinions on as our own, is almost pointless. While sometimes people can feel awkward when they do not believe the same thing everyone else does, I think that it is always good to have your own opinion. It shows who you really are inside.

Personally when I hear someone speak their mind differently then anyone else, it gets me thinking. If we were all made so differently what’s the point of being the same? Having your own opinion teaches you some essential life lessons.

When I was younger I always listened to my family members and what they had to say about certain topics. As I began to grow up I realized I did not believe in what they had to say, I just thought I did because it was what I had always learned. Knowing that, I didn’t want to make others believe that I actually thought what they did. I wanted to be my own person, but that could never happen if I continued to live off of others opinions. With my own opinions I would actually be someone and not just repeat of another personality. Not having your own ideas is especially hard in school. When a teacher would call on me, I would just answer with something I had heard someone else saying, then when they would ask me why I thought this I would have no idea what to say. I would end up looking stupid and try to make something up. An opinion gives you a reason to talk and not just sit around and listen. When I started to think about it I realized that having your own belief is a good thing. I wanted to change my views on life; I did not want to leave it all up to other people.

Having your own opinion makes you stronger. Not only do other people get to know you, but you get to know yourself. You can become so much more involved with what you are saying, and you understand others more too. I know that sometimes it’s hard to make up ones mind about a topic or situation but, I think that it is important especially when things get rough. I believe that having your own opinions is very important, especially with everything that goes on today.