Sloan - Greenville, North Carolina

Marriage

“Love, honor, cherish, and obey,” these are the words that every married couple has said to each other. But not every couple that has married each other has stayed together “till death do us part.” Are these words no longer important? Do these couples mean these words forever or for just the moment? Marriage is no longer honored as it used to be. This makes me wonder whatever happened to the institution of marriage.

I believe in the sanctity of marriage. I was fortunate enough to have grown up in a very loving household with amazing role models for a happy marriage, my parents. My parents have been married for twenty-five years now and still to this day they are just as madly in love with each other, if not more, than the day that they met.

These days, marriage unfortunately is not held in the high regards as it used to be. Marriage is now being treated as a disposable commodity. Some people change their minds on marriage like they change their clothes. I feel that this is probably due to the common mentality that if the marriage doesn’t work out, then the couple can just divorce. Divorce, unfortunately, is becoming more and more prevalent. It is no longer viewed in such a bad light as it used to be. I in no way feel that people who do divorce should be looked down upon. I do understand that sometimes things just happen and divorce is unavoidable in certain situations. I am simply saying that a couple who is considering getting married should put more thought into the importance of marriage. In my opinion, marriage should be forever. Marriage is a life long commitment, filled with the ultimate love, trust, and faithfulness.

In order for a couple to last, they should also recognize that it does take some work to maintain a relationship. In order to grow together, they need to do things together and have common interests. A common interest for a couple could be that they both like traveling or they have a favorite sports team that they both like to cheer on. Couples should also make sure that other things such as work, friends, and even their children do not take up all of their time so they end up having no time for each other. There should be an equal balance with time for each other and time for other things in their lives that they both feel is important to them. I feel that the couples that do think of marriage as forever are actually the ones who last and have incredibly happy marriages because they are the ones who are married for the right reasons, most importantly, love. In my opinion, I believe that love should be the only reason why two people should marry.