Marney - LaGrange, Illinois

This I Believe Essay

I believe in family, not the sitcom Brady Bunch type families, but the real people you hate for leaving a crayon in the washer; the real people that, though sometimes you hate to admit it, could not live without. Coming from a family of seven and having over 60 cousins there is rarely a moment when I am not around them.

My dad is one of fourteen children, and my mom is one of seven. So from them I have learned valuable lessons for dealing with family. Like fighting for the last fish stick as means for survival, and making the best of the hand-me-downs you will inevitably receive.

There are times, of course, that you would rather be with anyone else in the world but your family. I remember when I was five years old, my younger sister and I were playing on a playground. For one reason or another I got angry with her and pushed her off the play set, resulting in seven stitches for my sister.

Needless to say my mother was furious with me, and I was sent to my room. I recall yelling those famous lines; “I don’t want to be in this family anymore!” But time passed, and I was forgiven and this infamous event slipped from our minds and went unspoken of as not my finest hour.

Looking back, this event taught me one of the most important things about family: that no matter what terrible things you do, or how badly you mess up, they will still be your family. And even though sometimes we’d like to pack our bags and never see these people again – you will always be family. The biological connection is stronger than the greatest feeling of loathing and the farthest distance you could put between yourselves.

Now I am not saying that everyone should love their family all the time, never argue and live happily ever after. I believe that it is our disagreements that bring us closer together. The common goal to reach a resolution is much more beneficial to a relationship than just pretending to see eye to eye. It is when I come to peace with one of my family members after an argument that I feel the most thankful for them.

Seeing the disorder and violence in our world today and how close some disturbing events hit home, it is comforting to know that I have people to keep me grounded and appreciate me. Looking in on the turmoil of the world makes Thanksgiving with 80 plus people seem, a little less chaotic.