Monica - LaGrange, Illinois

“This I Believe”

The monopolizing commercials seem to always provide taking the 5 easy steps to success. What’s worse is how often we believe them. Because my pet peeves of hypocrisy and laziness are so strong, I believe it is self-discipline that leads to success. Risks need to be taken, plans need to be set, and self-discipline needs to be practiced in order for success to truly be achieved.

Success to me is a personal measure of achievement that provides a satisfaction only you can acknowledge or benefit from. Being an interpersonal idea, only you can control its progress. No one will achieve success for you. While some are content with simply telling themselves they are achieving when they don’t fail at what ever is put in front of them, they will never really feel this satisfaction. This satisfaction may scare some. Once a good feeling inhabits the body for a short while, you don’t want to go down so far psychologically as to be disappointed. So, taking the easy way out is safer. Again, the safe ones are those who will never truly succeed for themselves.

The other end of my belief is the self-discipline. My personal connotations for self-discipline include being a self-sufficient person with extreme and distinctive goals (and the determination and self-will to reach them). The aspects I hold true to self-discipline are determination (the drive to get what you want), self-will (really wanting something, setting a goal), organization (having a specific and realistic plan along with managing resources), conscientiousness (understanding your progress and how to strive harder) and self-pride (being proud of what you’ve done and having incentive to continue improving). Going about conducting self-discipline can be a process of two templates, so to speak. “Introverted thinkers” tend to perform a hard and pensive process. “Extroverted do-ers” tend to carry out an easier light-hearted practice.

A huge undergoing such as losing weight or attaining good grades, both serve as instances, which further explain the reasons I have this belief. As far as losing weight, no matter if you are a spoiled celebrity with all the trainers and coaches in the world, it is still you at the end of the day choosing between a candy bar and an apple. Again, only you can achieve for you. It applies uniformly to attaining good grades in school. The teachers, tutors and books are all tools utilized to succeed. You need to take time and put forth extra effort as you decide to make the extra time a productive study session verses doodling your time away.

Holding yourself accountable for your life is essential. I believe you are the only one who can ultimately elucidate your failures from your successes. Why would someone give up the power to succeed by allowing others to determine their destiny?