Maggie - LaGrange, Illinois

Tough Times

I believe that through the worst of times you can learn the most. I have a faith that has been tested and strengthened throughout the years which is how I developed my belief.

There are three important people that have passed away in my life that meant a lot to me. My cousin, my Grandpa, and Mrs. Scavuzzo are those three people. Because of their deaths I was taught many lessons, was tested, and in the end my faith had become even stronger. Since they have passed away I have learned to cherish the moments I experience with my family and friends. They have taught me to live in the moment, to help, and care for other people always.

My cousin, Casey, was actually playing a game which caused her death. She was playing and having the time of her life on that last day of school which was also the last day of her life. She was having fun and living in the moment. Jimmy Buffet also shows us to live in the moment. In one of his songs he sings, “I’d rather die while I’m living than live while I’m dead.” You may as well take the risk and have fun than not have fun because you are scared of those risks.

My Grandpa had been sick for a few years when he passed away. My family received a call during the first day of our vacation that my Grandpa’s condition was getting worst. With the help of many prayers we made it back in time for my Dad to see his Dad one last time. The prayers really worked because we only made it 30 minutes before my Grandpa passed away. So we missed our vacation but because we prayed my Dad was able to say goodbye to his Dad.

Being kind to everyone is the best was to live your life. That was who Mrs. Scavuzzo was and still is in many of our hearts. She was never mean to a single soul which taught me to just be nice because it makes you a better person! She listened to everything anyone said to her which made everyone feel good. She was a great role model for all the students at St. Cletus.

These three people have taught me a great deal. They have strengthened my faith to realize that even through tough times good things can happen.