Kyle - Burr Ridge, Illinois

This I believe

I believe that no obstacle should stop you from doing something you love to do. That no matter what life throws at you; anyone can push through and stick to the one true passion they love.

I had been thrown one of the most unfortunate problems I have ever had to get through. Several months ago I was playing my first outdoor soccer game of the spring season and while sliding for a ball, my cleats caught the ground while I kept moving forward. The result to this was excruciating pain in my leg because as my body kept moving forward; I could hear both of the bones in my leg snap one snap at a time. I remember while lying in the grass, I wondered if I would ever be able to play soccer again. From the trip to the hospital the only thing on my mind was if I will be able to get back on the field ever again, but at that moment I promised myself that I would work at it as hard as I could in order to get back into the game quicker. My doctor came to my house that night to ask me a couple questions. The big question he had for me was if I either wanted to get a cast for about three and a half months and still not be ready for the next month or two; or I could choose to get a metal plate and six screws and wear only a boot for about three months and then be able to run within the next month. I chose to have the surgery so I could get back to doing what I love to do. After the initial three months I was up and walking two weeks ahead of schedule. I was already running three miles a day a week ahead of schedule as well.

By the time my doctor released me to go and play soccer again, only one thing stood in my way; being able to slide tackle again. This is still one thing I battle every practice and game, but it is one thing that I will keep doing in order to get back my full love for the game back. I will continue to fight this fear of mine for a long time and I know that I can overcome this in time. No matter how hard things get, anything can be done if you just push through hard enough and don’t look back, for this I believe.