MaryClaire - LaGrange, Illinois

I Believe

I believe that the quality of life is more important than the quantity. In other words, life should be about those amazing moments that take your breath away, not how long you live.

Over the years I have gone on some great vacations. All of them have been a lot of fun, but the one that I will always remember will be when my family went to the Grand Canyon. Most people know of the Grand Canyon, and many have seen it. For me it was my first time. I was not that excited because I would have much rather been tanning on a beach, or going out with friends, not climbing a canyon with my family. But of course, I wasn’t given a choice, and was dragged on the vacation anyway.

We had to get up very early the day we were to climb the canyon, so right away I was not in a very good mood. As we started down the canyon, I walked and walked not really caring about what I was doing. I didn’t even take the time to look at the view. The only thought on my mind was the faster I finished the better.

At lunchtime I pretended to be happy, because my parents would only give us food if we were in a good mood, or if we smiled. So I smiled as we sat down for lunch. That was the first time I took the chance to look around and see the view. After lunch we started back up the Grand Canyon. We hiked for what felt like days, but in reality were only a few hours. As we reached the top, I was tired and out of energy. I could not wait to get back in the car. Of course my parents wanted pictures so I posed and put on my fake smile. After pictures I Finally saw the view.

I could see the entire canyon. The view looked like a picture. The sun set on the trail just like you see in the movies. I literally took my breath away. As I looked at the view I realized how big it the Grand Canyon was, and how small I was. That feeling was a feeling I could never describe, but I do know that it is those moments I should live for.