Christina - Chesapeake, Virginia

Most of us will never forget where we were on September 11; a day that our country really learned what it is like to suffer, to be weak, to need one another. For me, it seems like it was just yesterday that I was sitting in my History class and someone turned on the television for the last few minutes of class. Since this was a classroom setting, the news is pretty much the only thing we ever watched, and I can tell you that when that television was turned on the last thing I expected to see was the twin towers up in flames. The looks on everyone’s faces were looks of confusion, disbelief, horror and so much more. I immediately wanted to be close to those that I love and are so important in my life. I just wanted to be comforted, to be told that everything would be alright.

After the shock wore off and you realized that this really is happening and your heart immediately goes out to everyone that was in those buildings and to their family and anyone else that knew them. Watching the news as the event unfolded and learning how so many Americans came together to help in any way possible made you so proud to be apart of this country. In a time when terrorists thought we were down, we rose up higher than before and came out more united. I remember how all of the stores were sold out of American flags because so many people wanted to show that you cannot break our country down that we will always stand united. As each September 11 rolls around you find yourself looking back, remembering all of the details like it happened five minutes ago. This is a day that affected my life and challenged me to stand up and be a better citizen, to support my country more, and most of all to be so proud that I am an American. Pride, this is the emotion I felt then and I feel now. I have pride in my country, pride in all of the firefighters, police officers and volunteers that were willing to put themselves in danger to help save the lives of others.