CHristine - Western Springs, Illinois

Thirty seconds, one minute, seem like meaningless fillers between things we have to do. What seems like time that has no purpose can be filled with unforgettable moments. The one minute that is wasted waiting for another event, can be filled with a priceless story.

Ever since I was little, I have filled my minutes with many of my Grandpa’s stories. The stories he tells are moments in my life that are the most valuable to me. My family would always say, “Not that one again!” or “I have heard this one before!”, but no matter how many times I had heard the story, or where I had to be, I always took my time and really listened to what my Grandpa had to say. Unlike my family, what I realized was that you never hear the same story. There always was a different ending to the variation of a similar story, a new continuation of the plot, but never once have I heard the same story. I always hear about his first car that had no floor and how the ceiling would always leak. I always heard about his times in the war, and how he met my Grandma. Although those facts stay the same, his story changes with his audience. The time it takes to tell a story may only be a minute or two, but every moment counts in a story. After all, if you do not listen for one second you may miss the best part.

Everyone remembers the first time they met someone. You may not remember their name or their face, but you remember the way you met. The first moment in which you made a connection with someone is the most important. I remember the first time I met my best friend. I don’t remember where we were or what we were doing, but I know that after that we were inseparable. The moment in which you meet is a minute of vulnerability in which you can feel what your relationship will be with the person. That moment although it seems insignificant, in time, can develop a friendship, an acquaintance, or an enemy. If everyone took the time to listen to one another and care about one another for just one moment, then their would be many more friendships then foes.

People waste their time doing things of little value, and never really take the time to listen and remember a face. Although you will remember major moments, the times that changed your life you will not remember. The everyday occurrences can have the same affect, unless you stop and live in the moment and understand that time is not the most important thing, it is what you do with the time you have. That is why I believe in the importance of a single moment and an instance in time.