stacy - Hookerton, North Carolina

The Power of Music

I believe in the power of music. Music is something that everyone listens to whether it’s country, rap, classical or R & B. The right lyrics and melody have the power to move your soul and lighten your spirit.

Music personally has helped me cope with certain issues in my life. I listen to every kind of music under the sun but I especially love songs that seem like they were made just for me. One artist that I can think of is Jesse McCartney and his song “Beautiful Soul”. On days when I don’t appreciate certain characteristics about myself, listening to him sing gives me a better days.

I remember when September 11, 2001 happened and how the country came together as one that day. Not only did we as Americans come together the terrorist attacks helped give a new meaning to our National Anthem. That year the “Star Spangled Banner” was the number one selling song in America. This song helped unite people of different races, religions and ethnicities. When the Star Spangled Banner was played during sporting events at my high school events, the song did not mean as much to me as it does today. When I hear it today I think of that tragic day and the heroes that were lost that morning.

Music not only comforts us in the wake of tragedies but also at happy moments. For my family music has given us special nights together. We have music night at my aunt and uncle’s house where we play oldies such as Johnny Taylor, The Temptations and Otis Redding and dance and lip sync to the music blaring over the speakers. I cherish those nights when we laughed and joked together and didn’t have to worry what tomorrow was going to bring we just lived in that moment.

It doesn’t matter if you are experiencing a tragedy or having a night of laughs with your family, the power or music has the ability to bring all closer together in a positive way.