Spencer - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe in the theatrical art. It provides self-expression, confidence and, most importantly, friends.

I was always an awkward child. My body was disproportioned; I had buck teeth and glasses that were way to big for my face. It wasn’t that I was unpopular, I just didn’t have the confidence I needed to make more than the friends I already had. I was afraid of being rejected and being myself. My brother was currently enrolled in classes at the Theatre of Western Springs and had even been in a few plays. He told me how great it was and that I should join. I decided to sign up for classes.

I was a little shy at first. I mostly did things halfway; afraid of what people might think. It took me a couple of years (about two or three actually) to finally feel comfortable. And something amazing happened…I made friends! People actually liked me for who I was. I made friends that are some of my best friends today.

Being in the theatre gives a person a chance to step outside themselves. It gives them a new perspective on life and who they are as a person. We had spirit week for homecoming this year, and I dressed up for every day. That would have never happened if I hadn’t had the self-confidence gained from theatre.

When I’m at the theatre, I feel at home. I am around people that accept me for who I am, not just what they see. To be in theatre, it creates a better knowledge of the world around you. It heightens your ability to speak, write, and even your social skills. You are able to communicate better and speak your mind. I took a playwriting course last year, and I found it improved my writing skills, and also helped to transfer my thoughts onto paper.

Whenever I read a play or watch one, I relate it to my life. Some plays that I have encountered have even helped me with my life. I’m currently in a production of a play called Icarus Blue. It follows a boy, Icarus, in his journey through life. He struggles for acceptance and a better knowledge of himself. I find that I am much like Icarus. I am constantly changing my views and style to see where I fit in; where I am most comfortable. I believe that anyone can relate to Icarus. We are constantly trying to discover who we are, why we’re here, and what we are doing. Plays provide a different insight. They allow us to see life from a different point of view, which is important in this often close minded world we find ourselves in. They allow us to be ourselves. To be the person you want to be. And in this drama filled world, sometimes comfort and identification can be found in the world of drama.