Michele - Greenville, North Carolina
Themes: forgiveness

“This I Believe”

The core belief that has motivated my life in the past few years is learning forgiveness. Throughout my life there have been several family struggles that my family and I have had to deal with. My family and I have watched death, grudges, and bitterness tear apart a family. All of these actions have affected my brother and I the most, which left us with silent anger for many years. Because of the anger I had, I knew I needed to learn had to forgive, or my family would continue to dwindle away. When I learned to forgive certain people, I received more personal gratification.

The first and only person I needed to forgive was my father. The family feud started when my father remarried. In the beginning everything was perfect, but slowly things began to change. The change led my brother and me to dislike my stepmother, and become angry at our father. For years my brother and I refused to talk to our father, because we felt we became second choice. The anger I had toward my father for so long made him miss some of the most important times in my life. Although I was extremely angry, and thought I hated him, the times he missed I always wished he was there. As I became older, I realized my dad was trying to do the right thing for my brother and me. When I realized I just kept hurting myself from the anger I had towards him, I learned to forgive him.

Forgiving my father taught me how to forgive others and not to become angry with others. I lost important parts of my life with my father because I could never learn to forgive him. Forgiveness taught me how important relationships are, and how it can be difficult to make up lost time.