Kelly - LaGrange, Illinois

I BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF IMPERFECTION

According to Webster’s English Dictionary, Perfect is a word meaning an exemplification of excellence, or freedom from fault or defect. When one is told that something they are doing must be perfect, the often become nervous or have feelings of doubt. Ever since we were little and did things on our own, there was a right or wrong way to do them.

But as we grew older, right and wrong were just added to a list, average, okay, and at the very top of that list perfect. We grew to strive for perfection, to do everything in our power to not just do it right, but better, nothing at all wrong, in other words perfect. But becoming teenagers, perfection became something that select people strived for anymore, many were suddenly happy with that average, and some didn’t care at all.

Some came to value the fact that they learned from their mistakes, their errors, instead of killing themselves over the fact that no matter what they did they would never be perfect. I believe in the power of imperfection, I think that people learn more if they try and make mistakes then if they do it all right the first time. When you were a toddler there were many ways to learn, one of them being trial and error. During this phase toddlers try to do things and if they fail they try again and again until they succeed, and because of this they know that the way works and will remember because of their failures. But if the first time a toddler does something and they succeed they may not remember it the next time they try it, because they don’t know what doesn’t work just what did.

As we grew older we grew away from this phase trying harder and harder to do everything right the first time, and sometimes it needs to be that way, but other time like in math, if you try to do it yourself, you’ll get more out of it, and therefore it will help you remember better.

Imperfection is something that many people have come to be afraid of, instead of valuing what come out of it. When something is imperfect there are mistakes, and by taking those mistakes you can find a solution therefore making the imperfect suddenly perfect; now knowing what is wrong you will remember what is correct that much more.

Valuing imperfection is an important part of life, and if accepting your own imperfections you are that much closer to not being perfect, but being the best you could possibly be.