Ariel - carrollton, Texas
Themes: hope

I Believe In a Better Tomorrow

I believe in a better tomorrow in which hope changes the choices of others.

Growing up my parents always told me, “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade,” a concept in life that I didn’t know I’d be using so soon. When I first entered high school I had no idea what was ahead of me. I knew almost no one because everyone I knew or at least talked to went to a different school. A major goal for me through the year was to make new friends, get good grades, please the parents, and above all stay one step ahead in life. Making new friends was some what of a breeze, then the homework started piling up, next peer pressure hit hard, and that’s when my confidence level started declining swiftly. I had no one to talk to, to help me, and even when I did, I knew they wouldn’t be able to understand where I was coming from. So there I was alone in my own little world gasping on what little breath I had left. All that was in front of me was a pile of grief, judgment, confusion, anger, and a thin string of hope that I was holding on to for dear life.

One day when I came home I just stopped dead in my tracks and thought about what was going on. At one point I thought about giving up trying to measure up to everyone else’s expectations. Then I asked my self why? What’s the point of my effort in doing what they want me to do instead of what I want to do? I took my entire pent up aggression on everyone and myself and decided to take my parents advice. I could either make this a horrible life of high school or I could change my attitude and turn it around. So I gathered every bit of my strength and every bit of hope for something new to happen, and turned it in to positive energy. The next day I came back feeling renewed and ready to start over. Of course it took a little time, but I enjoyed every moment absorbing what ever positive energy I could.

Everyone’s experience in life is different. Back then, most days for me I wanted to come home and baugh, but I didn’t. I managed to turn it around. You don’t have to settle for bitter lemons; instead you can turn it into the sweet nectar of life. I believe in hope for the world, and that makes a better tomorrow.