Joe - Brookfield, Illinois
Themes: work

Good Old Fashion Work Ethic

Ever since I was a little kid, I’ve been taught that laziness is wrong, and that working is the key to success. Since fifth grade, I have had some way of earning money in order to teach me how to be responsible. Although I may have not like the idea of a paper route, it was a way to buy things for myself that my mom or dad wouldn’t.

I believe in hard work and perseverance, and not just having mommy or daddy buy things for me. From that single paper route, I have bought a digital camera, a video camera, an ipod, and many smaller things, with little or no help from my parents. It felt good to have bought all of those things myself before I had even entered high school.

To think, I have a paper route, I’ve caddied, and mow my neighbor’s lawn, all for a little extra spending money. Every one of these jobs takes sacrifices. For example, I have to wake up every Saturday and Wednesday mornings at six in the morning for my paper route. That meant no staying up too late on Friday nights. Now that I am almost sixteen, I realize that most people now have jobs and that everyone has to sacrifice something or another for that job. Although a little less sleep isn’t much of a sacrifice, it was still something many people didn’t do in their pre-high school years.

The mini-jobs that I have had have taught me a valuable lesson that will not only help me now, but in the future too. Not only has it taught me how to earn money, but how to save it too. I’ve spent my money on worth while and not so worthwhile things, but at least I bought them.

It feels nice to know that I have more money than my older sister who is now in college. It was partially because of her work ethic that my parents taught me against laziness. I wouldn’t want to be like her and be introduced to the real world and have no clue what to do.

Through my eyes, the youth of America are becoming too dependant on their parents to but them things. I understand that parents need to buy a lot of things for their kids, but being spoiled is a whole different story. It is easy to be involved, have a job, and still have plenty of time to have fun and just hang out.

I believe in the good old fashion work ethic, because without it, where would we be?