Jamie - Greenville, North Carolina

What I believe is shaped by having a personal relationship with God. It’s not about being “religious” or “spiritual”—but about an awareness, obedience and faith. It all clicked one summer at a Young Life Camp in high school. After riding in a bus for three days we came to our destination at camp. Camp was full of fun activities, bonding time for girls and talks. One night in coffee hour the truth really became known to me. I had heard it before, but did not comprehend it. As I look back I see all the pieces clicking together. There was a longing, emptiness, desperation to be needed and it was all part of the master plan to win my heart. My heart was pursued and God won the fight that night at camp.

As a college freshman I was on the path to a degree in nursing. After the first three semesters it was time to apply for nursing school. Class had come easy to me, so there was no anxiety about getting in. One night during finals a friend decided to let me know she didn’t think I was supposed to be a nurse. I was like, “Yea I know, I am supposed to do high school ministry.” I didn’t even think about what I had just verbalized, I had just talked myself out of turning in my application, which would change my life.

Again, life started coming together in ways I didn’t plan. It was assumed over and over again during my freshman year of college by high school students and adults that I was going to do youth ministry. I always laughed it off thinking they were crazy. But is seems as soon as I had the freedom to not choose nursing it was exactly what I knew I was supposed to do. I had a choice to make: should I choose a career that would be hard and scorned by many, or one that would be easy and lavished with praise?

Everyone has a choice—I just desire to proclaim it to students so they can choose for themselves. I was impacted as a teenager by a young woman who loved me. This relationship paved the way for me to want to choose the same path-to impact young women. When I am spending time with teenage girls, I come alive, and feel vibrant, excited, and passionate. Some would say this is a crazy career choice for a woman. Instead of a career with financial benefits and admiration by society, I have decided to equip young girls to know God and to serve others. This is ridiculed among many and many will never understand it. But as crazy as it might be, it’s where my heart comes alive, even if no one approves of my choice. I chose the path that would be scorned by others before they even meet me.