Carol - SLC, Utah

I believe that acts of kindness and kind words really benefit both me and the receiver and make life worth living. My name is Carol and I am an African American, living in a predominately white state. SLC, Utah. I am not LDS, I am Southern Baptist. I have lived in SLC, the majority of my 42 years. I am a single mom, educated, beautiful. Never married, although I would welcome it when the right man comes along.

I have been very inspired by some of the essays I have heard on NPR, so I finally built up enough courage to tell the world a little bit of what “I believe”. Because sharing is beautiful, so here it goes: Currently, it seems that a lot of people in the world are really having difficult times. There is a war in the Middle East, a gas crunch, and not too many of us are benefiting from the current economy. My perception is that most people are really finding life to be more difficult and because of this, I try my best everyday to make someone else’s life, less miserable. How do I achieve this you ask?Well, it’s really simple and some of you may have heard of this before. I practice being more patient with others, byyeilding to pedestrians and allowing the mother with young children to get in line ahead of me at the local market. I like to greet strangers, telling someone “hello” cost me nothing, and by being a better listener. Oh the list goes on and on. For I know that by making someone else’s day or way easier, my day and way is easier, and that is worth living for.