Meg - Western Springs, Illinois

Summer Days

Some people may have powerful beliefs that may change others’ perspective of the world, with great meanings. However, my belief is plain and simple. I believe in summer break.

I believe in time off from a stressful job or education and taking that precious time to do what ever I wish. I may choose to get a summer job at the pool. I may attend summer school to get ahead of the rest of the students. However, more likely, I will decide to take a long 3 week vacation to somewhere exotic and different, to get away from the all too familiar stress that occupies me the other 10 months of the year.

This is what I love about summer break. I have that choice. During school, I am told what classes to take, what assignments I must complete and by when. That doesn’t happen during the summer. If it does happen to you, you’re spending your summer break all wrong.

I believe in lying in the backyard with popsicles and friends, for that’s all I need to pass the time with pleasure. Soaking up the Chicago rays while they last, I don’t even care if I’m sweating. If I get too overheated, I just run over to the pool and take a dip. Everything about summer makes me feel excited, yet relaxed.

Honestly, one of my favorite things about summer has to be that there is absolutely no dress code. My skirt doesn’t have to be a certain length, and tanks tops are not only acceptable, but also encouraged. Perhaps I want to walk around in a swim suit and shorts. I may even want to wear sweats, for those days where I lie on the couch watching 10 straight hours of TV while devouring the pantry. I also have the option of wearing flip flops or, the more popular choice, no shoes at all.

I am still a teenager, and I need that break from school, just as I need oxygen or food. I take pity on those who feel the need to jam pack their summers with summer school and jobs that they think will glorify their college applications. I have two words for them: chill out.

I am dreading the days when I am in the work force and am not granted those relaxing days in which I spend my time, in fact, wasting my time. I worry that I will one day spend many an hour sitting at a desk, dealing with business issues at a high-stress job. But for now, I will treasure summer break for the days that I am still able to.

For I believe in summer break, plain and simple.