Wei-Yu - Lexington, Virginia
Themes: purpose, work

Find Out What You Want

Stonewall Jackson said, “You may be what you resolve to be.” I believe in setting up a target. I believe if we know our target then we will work hard for it. I believe in trusting ourselves that we can do anything. If we set up our goals and make up our minds to reach our goals, and then work as hard as possible, we will succeed.

I can still remember that when I was a little boy, I went to an Air Force base in Taiwan. I saw the Thunder Tiger Team’s performance and the exhibition of the fighters. Since that day, being a pilot is the target that I have wanted to reach. I started reading books about aircraft and asked some retired pilots how I could be a pilot. I learned about the body condition I need to have to be a pilot. First of all, I need to have a strong body for the high pressure environment inside the jets. Second, I learned I can not get any major surgery, and I can not be nearsighted. As soon as I got the information, I began to work out. I tried to get stronger so that I could handle the pressure in the fighter. I played sports such as badminton, volleyball, and table tennis. I used to play basketball before I knew about the standards for pilot conditioning, but as soon as I was informed of them, I quit. Playing basketball might cause serious harm, so I played sports which are much safer than basketball instead. I wanted to keep myself away from danger. Furthermore, I seldom watched TV because I wanted to maintain the condition of my eyes, and that was also the reason I barely played video games. I did these things because I knew I wanted to be a pilot.

By the time I got into high school, I had learned about the Chinese Air Force Academy, which I would need to graduate from to be a pilot. I knew the life in the academy would be tough, but I decided to apply for the academy without even thinking about it. I didn’t need to worry about how tough the life would be. What I knew was that I would do my best to achieve my goal. When I got into the academy, someone told me about the chance to be an exchange student in America at Virginia Military Institute, which would increase my chance of becoming a pilot in the Chinese Air Force because all of the pilot classes are taught in English. Therefore, once I got the information, I commenced working on my poor English ability and trying to improve it as much as possible. I worked so hard because I wanted to get here. Then, I made it. I came to VMI successfully. Coming to VMI is a big step for being a pilot; even though I am not a pilot yet, I know I am on my way. What I need to do is continue to make myself better and get ready for the pilot physical examination.

I liked to play video games and watch TV when I was a little kid, but I had to quit. I didn’t like to study English before I got into the Air Force Academy, but I studied hard in order to come to VMI. Where did the power come from? Obviously, it came from the goal that I set up. I want to be a pilot, so I keep my body in good condition, and I go after every opportunity to increase any chances of that goal. I believe in setting up a target and trusting ourselves that we can get what we really want. I believe that if we establish what we desire, we can overcome anything, which is just like what Thomas Edison said, “Where there is a will, there is a way.”