Jessica - Indian Head Park, Illinois

I believe in the power of one small gesture to create something great. If one person reaches out to another person, simply by saying hello or waving, they can become amazing friends. One simple action was all that I needed to get to know the girl that would one day become my best friend.

I went to school with a girl named Katie for about seven years before I realized her amazing personality and kindness. In seventh grade, Katie gave me the opportunity to recognize this and to get to know her a little better. She invited me to a party at her for Halloween and her birthday. Of course I wanted to go, but I was really nervous. I barely even knew the girl and there I was going to her house.

When I got to Katie’s house, I wanted to turn around and go home because I did not know half the people there. However, I knew that would be rude, so I just stayed pretty quiet because I was so tense. I had never talked to any of the other people at the party before and did not know what to say. But, Katie reached out to me and made me feel comfortable as if I had been her friend for years. She introduced me to everyone at the party and started so many conversations. Katie’s relaxed energy rubbed off on me, and I ended up having a great time.

Now, Katie and I are best friends. Our wonderful friendship started because she reached out and invited me to a party. Also, at the party, she reached out again to include me. Katie, with her outgoing personality, still makes me feel comfortable when we spend time with each other. There is never a moment when I feel awkward around Katie because she always knows the right thing to do to make me feel at ease.

I believe that simple gestures, when done with the right idea in mind, can make a huge impact on the lives of many people. I believe that my friendship with Katie started with one of these small gestures. I believe that the majority of friendships begin with one person reaching out to include another. And finally I believe that if more kind gestures were made, this world might be a better place.