James - Greenville, North Carolina

Trends and Issues in Family Studies

This I believe; ‘If You Don’t Fall for Something, You’ll Fall for anything’.

The use of Internet signals for communication in finding a partner, in order to form a meaningful relationship, could be setting me up for a pitfall in the eyes of humanity. In order for me to form a relationship, which is psychosocially compatible, without the social, and physical connection, any healthy emotional attachment could be short-lived. The part that begins with forming an attraction that is artificially manufactured does not translate into instant attraction through an Internet meeting. What ever happened to face-to-face? Love at first sight attraction does not come by way of computer dating. I fail to see the significance of what my attraction, through a screen and keyboard, has to do with the real world of social contact. This I believe. God intended for mankind to form unions by way of social gathering so that there is no misrepresenting of one self.

At an early age I can remember my mother saying, “If you don’t fall for something (son) you’ll fall for anything”. I often wondered, what she was trying to tell me at that time, of rebellion, of course. “If you don’t fall for something”, finally made since.

Whatever the rage my father kept inside that, he later came to terms with, that made me come to terms with forgiveness and with respect from him for me until this day at the age of 82, he and I are good friends as well as good company.

Those were powerful words, which I once heard as a child that still ring true to this day “if you don’t fall for something, you’ll fall for anything”. I stood in a situation of hating my father at that time in my life, but that only builds hate. I chose to follow the power through knowledge, being true to whom, I grew to be. Learning through the process of research and finding out things I did not know at the age of 54, gave me a new awakening to the meaning of without an education and how it leaves you without the power to know true wisdom. What a ride this has meant in my life that I did not get at 18 or 21,but what I did get was PTSD, shared by a father’s rage. I adopted the message that you only go through life once, what you see is what you get, and that only comes by way of socially connecting. The face-to-face sparkle of magic that takes place looking into someone’s eye is not a connection you can get from the Internet.

Forming more meaningful relationships comes through natural instinct. The ability to make quick decisions based on what you see is what you get from a face-to-face Vs Internet Wink. I believe there is a physical attraction that one gets from that first sight, that can’t be felt by way of on-line connections. I feel as though one may lose the ability to make those natural bonds that take place during the mating seem more artificial rather than that spontaneity you get from face-to-face. I would rather do that which makes me mentally stable; physical challenged, and emotional balanced, and socially connected. I believe that I have the power to fall for knowledge to know more about education at a late phase of life, that’s all that I need at this point. A virtual relationship is not in the picture.