Bradley - Portland

I believe the hardest thing in the world to do is work hard. I have been running for the past 4 years all so far have been in high school up to this point, now I am a division one runner for Portland State University. I will tell you now it wasn’t easy.

When I first started in the 9th grade my sixty four year old coach beat me in a five kilometer road race. That was when I became determined to be the best. I only went to a little tiny 2a school called Oakridge High School, I wasn’t going to let that bother me, I wanted to be the best out of all the classification.

I started training hard. I would wake up every morning at 5:30 and run 6 to 8 miles and then go to school and then cross country or track practice. When the end of my freshman year came around I had finished 7th in state cross-country and 2nd in the 3000 meters in state. Some would say that’s amazing but not for me it was only 2a. I wanted the best overall.

I ran very well the next two years winning state in the 3000 both years and cross- country both years. Still I thought only 2a. Though my times were comparable to the top 4a runners it wasn’t good enough. I entered my senior year looking to be the best now and I also had a job at a local grocery store working 30 hours a week so that was also going to take a toll on me.

I won state in cross country easily and had the second fastest 5k overall in the whole state. I knew I little bit harder work would get me there so when track came around I could be the best. It never happened though I trained to hard and acquired a stress fracture in my right leg. I was very mad at the time but as it dose time passed and I got over it.

My 5k personal record was the 12th fastest in the country regardless of classification. I won a total of 7 state championships and a national 3000 meter title in track for sophomores throughout high school.

I will admit I didn’t always like getting up at 5:30 am to run in the freezing rain and snow in the winter or when I was sick but I was determined and I will continue to be the best now in college.

I think of this topic because I have friends and know many others who barley can even get them selves to work in the morning. I have always told myself no matter how sick I am or cold it is out side in the morning it could be worse. I always like to remember if I work hard even if it’s bad and pointless, at some point the reward will be greater and you wont think the hard work was pointless.