William - Birmingham, Alabama
Themes: science

Driving down a dirt county road in Oneonta, Alabama, listening to some Lynyrd Skynyrd turned up loud, is only done right in a truck. I’m not talking about some SUV; it has to have a bed in the back at least 6 1/2 feet long. Two wheel drive doesn’t cut it either; four wheel drive is a necessity. Also, loud exhaust is definitely a positive contribution to the truck driving experience.

I’m sure a lot of people are thinking: trucks waste gas! They are way too big! They pollute our environment! Well, that may be true to a certain extent, but I haven’t ever seen a hybrid car on any muddy trails, crossing deep ravines, or even going up steep hills. Instead of being limited to just on-road paths, trucks that have proper equipment, like a steel bumper and brush guard, can plow their way through the woods to go anywhere they want. A diesel engine or a big gasoline engine with power written all over it makes paying at the pump pricy, but well worth the cost. The option of having four doors with spacious leather seating adds to the comfort of the cabin, and whatever I want to haul with me will not be invading cabin space because it will be in the bed. Off-road capability, power, and room to haul whatever I want in my truck is a must for me to enjoy driving – an everyday part of life.

When I walk out of the local hardware store, I want to spot my truck sitting high above the other cars in the parking lot. If it rains while I am inside, I want to see mud that fell off my truck onto the pavement of the parking lot. When I shut the door, I want to hear the solid “umph” as it securely shuts. When I turn the key and start the engine, I want to hear the exhaust pipes roll some thunder. The feeling I get when I drive a truck is so unique, 26 letters aren’t enough to describe it. It is one of those special things where, unless you have driven a big truck, you don’t understand. I believe in the power, off-road capability, towing capacity, and enormity of trucks.