LaToyia - Mocksville, North Carolina

Destined to Make a Difference

When I reflect back over my life, I realize that I have been destined to make a difference. We all have been put on this earth to make a difference. However, not everyone is willing to except that responsibility. Now I must admit that there has been times when I wondered why was I even born? But as I grow and learn I learn I now realize that I was born to make a difference in the world and others.

Life is full of choices. Those choices should not be determined by how much money we make, where we live, or who we are related to. They should be determined by who we are. Also, by what we want to make the difference of things in life.

My daddy asked me a question on day. He said “do you feel better when the weather is nice outside?”. I replied I guess. He went to say “when you feel better, you do better, right?”. Again, I replied I guess. He went to explain something that has stuck with me until today. He told me that from those answers, I was being reactive. Meaning, I let my surroundings determine how well I do. He then went to explain how I should be proactive. He explained that a proactive person carries the weather with them. They are not driven by their own surroundings or their circumstances but they are driven by their morals and their values. After that conversation, I realized that I wanted to make a difference in the lives of others and if so, I could not be driven by “my circumstances”

I have a job at the Davie Family YMCA working with the younger children for after school care. I remember at a 5th grader, I used to look up to those high school students that would come to school and talk to us. Now, I have the opportunity to make a difference in those kids lives. I can make a difference by telling them what I believe and think they should talk. Also, to help and guide them through their problems.

I am blessed to have been brought up by two loving parents that fear God. They have made such a difference in my life. They tell me you should treat others like you want to be treated. I want people to help me to change when I’m doing wrong or help me when I’m in need of it. I do not have to wait until I am married and have my own children in order to make a difference. I am making a difference now.

Not only am I destined to make a difference in the lives of those children but in the lives of my peers as well. I hope to teach them that life is too short to waste in on being selfish and self centered. I hope that they will realize how I have tried to be someone they could talk to and call on even when they fell that no one else understands them. Yes, I am destined to make a difference. I now understand that those who have made a difference in my life were only instruments to help mold me and make a difference to others.