Ashley - Indianola, Iowa

I believe in giving to others is an act of kindness. I have always been known to be giving even when I was a young child. Growing up, my grandmother was always baking pies, cookies, bread, etc. for neighbors, friends, co-workers, family, and church peers, just for fun. I would always ask her if there was a reason she was baking all that food and she would always tell me she loved the feeling of “giving” to special people in her life and watching their reactions on their faces after they have received their goodies. It warmed my grandmother’s heart every time and made her feel good. I feel my grandmother has passed the trait down to me to carry on.

When I was in elementary school, I would always want to take a gift to school for my teacher. So I would pick a few flowers out of my mother’s flower garden in the spring and sneak some candy in the fall and winter. In middle school, I continued with the gift giving. In high school, I would always buy small gifts to friends and children whom I would baby sit for not just for Christmas but birthdays and special occasions. Now I have graduated from high school and soon college and am now married. I feel my trait is still with me as you could find me baking up some cookies for my co-workers at the bank or shopping for a new shirt for my friend and me.

You don’t have to buy something to be a giving person at all. I truly believe that you can also give by helping people out with certain things in their life which in return will be a greater reward for you because you have done something kind for someone else. I am always there to give my time to my family and friends when they need me. I’m always one to count on who will drop anything they are doing to help them out. I believe there are many people in this world, who might only think of themselves and want people to drop everything they are doing to help them out but won’t in return do the same for them. I believe appreciation is the greatest reward there is to receive. For someone to feel appreciative for things they have done for others or showing your appreciation to people to show you care about them.

I know I will always believe I am a “giving” person the rest of my life. This is what I want people to remember about me that I was always thinking of other people before myself. I know that is why my grandmother is very proud of me.