Katherine - elk grove, California
Themes: family, setbacks

I Believe in Second Chances

“It takes a village to raise a child”, I have often heard this saying and I never could quite understand the full meaning of this. Now that I am older I have grasped my own personal interpretations of this and how it affects me. I was around six years old when I found out I was adopted, I was too young to understand what this was all I remember hearing was that adopted children do not live with their real parents. I asked my mother and she said I was a gift from God and that me being adopted doesn’t change anything. I first wondered who was my birth mother and why did she give me away? Then I developed feelings of anger towards my birth mother, a woman whom I have never met. All I knew about her was that she was on drugs and endangered my life and therefore made the best decision she could at the time, and that was giving me up. I was angry because I wondered was it something I did, was I not the baby she hoped for, or was she just being selfish, inconsiderate, and irresponsible? These were all my unanswered questions. As I got older I didn’t pay much attention to the fact that I was adopted, after all I was lucky to have been adopted so young and into a wonderful family that wanted me and accepted me from day one. I believe that God watches over everyone and sees that we are all taken care of. I always wanted to know whom I looked like, if I have any brothers and sisters, who is my father, where did I come from, and what is my family background. Little did I know is that your birth parents do not make them your parents and family. Parents and family are those who re there for you, those who love and support you, and those who will never endanger you. I am no longer angry at my birth parents although I do still wonder who my birth parents are. I believe in second chances, I would never find them but I wouldn’t mind if they contacted me and who knows maybe me not knowing them is for the best. I made it without anything from them besides the fact that they made me, but my family has made me the person I am today. I will be forever grateful to my birth mother for giving me up and allowing me to have the chance to have a better life than what she could ever provide for me. God gave my mother a second chance to live life after I was born and in return she gave me my first chance to live and to become the person who I am today and I just want to say thank you.