Lindsay - Indianola, Iowa
Themes: carpe diem, death

Live Life

I believe that you should always live everyday as if it were your last. I know this is commonly quoted, but for me it took a near death experience of an immediate family member to completely realize the importance of the quote.

My mom has always been one of the most important people in my life. She and my dad have always attended my sporting events, music concerts, and have always been there for me. No one could ever take the place of them, especially my mom.

About six years ago my dad had to drive my mom to the emergency room after we found her in the fetal position on the bathroom floor. She was having extreme stomach pains and for her to admit she is feeling pain is a rare occurrence.

In the doctor’s office they drew blood and she was told to take some pain medication and that would cure her pain. As my mom and dad walked back out to the car to go home, my dad decided to go back in and ask exactly what pain medication she should take. While he was walking in, the doctor was running out to stop them. He had just gotten her white blood cell count back and it was sky rocketed. She needed to be hospitalized and under further review.

The doctor had said if my parents had left she would have died. At this time my dad called all four of us kids to let us know of the situation. My sister, Megan, and I rushed to the hospital as my brother and sister started their drives home from their perspective colleges. They did emergency surgery and she was out for many hours. We found out that she had diverticulitis, a disease that occurs when you aren’t able to digest small food such as nuts, seeds, and popcorn. They form pockets that could someday rupture. The pockets that formed inside of her had ruptured that morning. The doctors couldn’t believe how much pain she had been in. She had a colostomy for a few months.

I remember thinking my mom and I had just watched a movie together, talked, laughed and in just a few hours she was almost taken away from our lives. This made me realize how precious life is. I now realize how important it is to live everyday as if it were your last.