Mike - Indianola, Iowa
Themes: work

The first thing that came to my mind was working hard. Everything I do in life, I put my full effort forward. If it is something worth doing, it’s worth doing hard. I have played competitive sports for over ten years. Every since I was a little kid, it was ingrained into my mind to work hard to get what I want. That is something that I have applied to every aspect of my life. Sports are just one of many outlets that I have been able to apply that theory to. I probably got the work ethic from my father as a little boy. Growing up on a farm outside a small town in Iowa didn’t give me many things to do growing up. I probably worked more hours on the farm before high school than many people work before they are thirty. I’m not saying that to sound better than anybody, but it was just the way things were. If I wasn’t working for my dad I was running the country mile or riding my bike to my childhood friend’s house about two miles away. There are not very many distractions in a town of 450 people growing up. That helped with my work ethic towards sports. I needed something in my life to be dedicated to, and sports was it. I would get up four days a week at 5:30 to lift weights, year round. Like I said before, I lived in a small town and there wasn’t much else to do. I didn’t get involved with drinking or doing drugs in high school, so there had to be something for me to do. I think that helped me develop a passion for sports at a young age. I have good parents who want me to succeed in life, and I was taught to be competitive and outgoing at a young age. I thank them for what they have taught me. The values they taught me as a young boy are still with me today. No matter what I end up doing in life, I know that I am going to do it hard.