Janelle - Portland, Oregon

I believe no man should fight for a cause other than his own, for only he can fight with enough passion to win the battle. True enough I follow little of politics this day in age, but each day I am confronted with the effects of them. I am able to afford myself with a future not because I am smarter than others and not because I worked the hardest. Though I am hard pressed to admit it I am here because of an accident at birth. My family can afford to send me here. It is true I choose to be here and the forces that cause me to stay are my own. I cannot help but to think of another who deserves to be sitting here beside me learning of our government instead of experiencing its actions first hand. My boyfriend sits in a hot desert right now, a gun resting against his knee. He cannot convince me of the cause that holds him in that hellhole, because he does not believe in it himself. All that holds him to that god forsaken country is the promise that if he can hold on long enough he will be afforded the future I am now having handed to me.

He is not fighting for our country, nor is he fighting for some idealistic world with peace. He’s simply fighting for a chance to do something in his life. I ask why now. Why is it not the politicians, who speak so passionately of our cause in Iraq, why are they not there beside him? Would they not be all the stronger for their belief in the cause? I believe no man should have to fight for a cause he doesn’t believe in.