Trisha - Bemidji, Minnesota
Themes: golden rule

I believe that everything happens for a reason. That there is a set plan for our lives, made by God or whomever your god may be, that is the best for us in the long run. We may get angry about things happening in our lives, but in the end, we realize that that was the best road for us to take at the time, no matter how bumpy it might have been.

I was a pretty shy girl back in high school. The boys didn’t really seem to notice me. At a formal after party my sophomore year I saw this cute guy. He was the life of the party, making everyone laugh. I was sitting by myself (like always) and admiring him from afar. Somehow though, the next week, I mustered the courage to call him and ask him on a date. It was so unlike me, but I really liked him. I didn’t pine for months or years at a time like I had done with all of the others I had crushed on. I took charge and called, and to my surprise he said yes.

I think that we were like any other couple in high school. Holding hand led to my first kiss ever, and that led to more, and then we got some startling news. I was pregnant! How could this happen? I was the good girl, that didn’t smoke or drink, but here I am, 17 and having a baby.

We decided together that we would get through it. We would raise this child together, so he moved in with me at my parent’s house. I think that anyone could imagine how that would go over in most households, and it was no different here. My parents and Josh butted heads, and I was talking back more and more.

Why did this happen to me? I couldn’t imagine how I was going to take care of a baby and go to school. Then came time to start my senior year, I had to go through the hall with my now six months pregnant belly hanging out. There was no hiding it. I knew that people were looking at me, and thinking how awful it was. I wanted to quit school; it would have made this situation a lot easier.

I toughed through it, I finished high school with everyone else. And I had a brand new baby girl, Abigail to show for all of the trouble. She is my angel. I never would have known what I was capable of, if not for the tough circumstances that I was put through. I know that a lot of other women are going through the same thing at the moment. Right now, they might be feeling like their life is over, and they will never get through it, but they are stronger than they think, and they wouldn’t have been given this challenge if it wasn’t possible for them to come out better for it in the end.