Whitney - Charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: carpe diem

The laws of economics direct me towards specialization, for specialization promotes improved skills, saved time, growth through innovation and ultimately – wealth. These laws run counter to my Neverland reveries, remaining hooked to fact. Yet, my riches reside elsewhere, in my social responsibility, in my devotion to those I love, in my laughter and its responding vibrations. Wealth is independent of recognition and status. It does not conform to rationality. In this manner, I believe in the pursuit of unreserved happiness.

I believe in throwing myself like a potter’s clay, spinning wildly in every direction, stretching my utility of logic and emotion.

My high school peers submissively immerse themselves in GPAs and transcripts, failing to truly experience. This is not to say I devalue education. I am an attentive student who succeeds in rigorous courses. However, I join clubs seeking participation, not praise. I respect teachers who transcend instruction and truly educate, for the joys of humanity do not follow a curriculum.

My Peter Pan fantasies stretch from teaching handicapped children, to emerging as an entrepreneur, to writing a novel, to submerging in divers cultures, to performing missionary work. Along the way I may harden and crack or traverse off path, but, for now, I ardently believe in the continuum of my youthful ambition. The invisible hand of economics follows predictability; my course is instead steered by spirit, whose compass knows no perimeter.

We live a paradox of “daring to be different” while meeting societal standards. My happiness depends not on normality and refuge. Rather, eccentricity and vulnerability challenge tradition, sparking innovation.

By treading the unknown, experiences can be richer, vast possibilities explored, and happiness discovered.