Celia - Charlotte, North Carolina

Let’s be honest. I am sixteen, there is no way I have the answers. I am a combination, unorganized mess mixture of drama, exaggerations, procrastination, deceit, indecision. I believe in simple things. Such as happiness and love, in laughing at lunch with your friends, in sleepovers and late night calls to your best friends. I believe in being a teenager, loving and living to the extreme in my safety bubble. And that safety bubble is Charlotte.

I agree with the Beatles on two things, John was out of order when he left for Yoko, and love is all you need. If they had said love and happiness is all you need, that’s my belief statement. That’s seven words, not a 26 page thesis. Like I said, I believe in simplicity and my little routine. I believe in work 5 days a week, on Wednesdays turning away from the world to watch Laguna Beach, dedicating my Friday and Saturday nights to “getting crunk” and repeating the same thing next week. I believe in “getting over it,” or moving on. That’s the key to happiness, the key to the smile on my face that never goes away. And the other key, love.

When I was little, I was missing both. I couldn’t love myself, and therefore I didn’t think other people could either. I often went to school with red marks and bruises, I felt ugly and unworthy. Years later I found out how important love is. I had to accept myself and be happy with what I’ve got. That was my key to happiness; I got over my childhood and didn’t wallow in sorrow over things. I learned to love myself and in return people loved me.

I’m not saying I have all the pieces together, for now I have my life in a comfortable place. But life changes, but you know what? You’ve got to get over that too.