Faith - Charlotte, North Carolina

Winston Churchill once said “We make living by what we get we make a life by what we give.” This quote should be the philosophy of everyone’s life. We make a living by thinking of ourselves. But, we make a life by helping others. We work to get exactly what we want. But, we have to depend on others also. The friend who comes to comfort you, the neighbor who brings your trash can in when you’re sick, and the police and firemen who protect you when you are in need, these people help you live your daily lives. You depend on them. So, what can you do to care for people?

Society is caught up in the insignificant problems of today’s culture, that we don’t realize what we can do for others. I’m not saying I’m the perfect Samaritan here. I have my days when I complain about the weather or search through my closet crammed with clothes and whine that I have absolutely nothing to wear. People all over the globe slave away, in the scorching sun for a few scarps of food; while others struggle to bundle up in freezing temperatures, with a piece of worn out cloth. We need to think about how we should help others.

If, it’s a stranger or a best friend, we need to think of others. It sounds effortless doesn’t it, go help an elderly lady cross the street, and send a friend a sympathy card. But is it really? When you see a man struggling with his groceries, do you instantly help him? Or do you tell yourself that “he’s got it or he doesn’t need my help”? We need to put our worries and uncertainties aside. It’s a win-win situation. Someone gets helped, and you feel like you actually helped this messed-up world.

I’ve experienced that there are two kinds of people. First the arrogant common man who thinks only of himself. Then, there’s the helpful person who is considerate with others. I once was the arrogant person. I could only think of myself. I was too helpless to help any one. But, then something changed me. I opened my eyes to see that I could make a difference. So, then I decided to see if I could be of aid to others. Someone recommended this charity site. Anyone could sponsor another person, who needed help. I would send my person a certain amount of money each month, letters, and other things they may need. I felt much better. I felt like I actually made a difference in another person’s life. One person can make a big difference in the world. Even it it’s only one person.

I believe that Winston Churchill is sending an essential message. He’s saying that we work and have to care of ourselves, but that’s not how we should live. A life is thinking of others and what their needs are and what we can give them. That’s a real life.