Kristen - Charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: setbacks

Opportunity simply means a situation or condition favorable for attainment of a goal. To me the denotation of the word opportunity is very insignificant; it is more than a word. This basic word shaped my destiny.

Have you ever dwelled on a lost opportunity when in fact you miss another opportunity? I admit, I have experienced a situation such as this, but luckily, I did see another door open sooner rather than later. It was the end of my junior year when I tore my ACL, anterior cruciate ligament, playing basketball. After intense surgeries and critical physical therapy appointments, I began to see progression in my knee. Soon after, I discovered my sudden interest in physical therapy.

Looking back I would not change the course of events this year. Even though I am unable to be active, I found my passion to do physical therapy. If it was not for tearing my ACL and building a relationship with my physical therapist, I do not think I would have a field of interest to add onto my college applications. Tearing my ACL put me on track as to what I would like to study in college.

I believe that it is not worth crying over spilled milk, opportunities come and go, it’s the chance one must take to witness another door of opportunity to open. In the beginning I began to question God. Why would he punish me, why would he put me through this much hurt and despair to present my interest of taking care of people through physical therapy? Maybe, he wanted me to experience the pain of physical therapy to be able to relate to people, but then again, maybe not. Whatever reason God did this to me I am happy to find something that I have a passion for.

Tearing my ACL was a disappointment in the beginning, until the opportunity to experience and learn about physical therapy surfaced. I believe it was my destiny to get injured in order for me to find something I love such as physical therapy.