Meagan - charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: forgiveness

Forgiveness

Throughout ones lifetime, a person will forgive and ask for forgiveness in ways that seem impossible. As a little kid, most children are taught that if you hit your brother, the right thing to do is say that you are sorry, and everything will be ok. Well everybody likes to believe that right? But sometimes asking for forgiveness when you are older is a little more complicated than when your 5 years old.

William Blake once said “It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend”. From personal experience, I know what it feels like to forgive an enemy without much thought, but then debate over and over on forgiving a friend.

I once had a very close friend betray me and tell someone a very personal secret I had shared with him. I trusted him, and had faith he would never tell anyone what I shared with him. When I found out what he had done, he came to me and asked me to forgive him. Most of the time I am a very forgiving person. I told him I forgave him, but I couldn’t trust him until he earned his trust back with me. It was really hard to forgive him because I was so angry and bitter, because this is someone who I trusted, and the betrayed me.

A stranger and an enemy are both people that you don’t know that well. I once had a stranger cuss me out and flare its horn in the car because I “supposedly” took her parking spot. Later, the lady came and apologized to me, I forgave her immediately. I forgave the stranger without much thought, I didn’t know her, she didn’t know me, so I didn’t take it personally.

With that being said, I believe it is easier to forgive an enemy then to forgive a friend simply because a friend means more to me than an enemy does. When someone close to you hurts you, I think it is harder to forgive that person, because you trust them and know the “real” them, and know they are good people. So next time you forgive someone, give it thought, don’t say you forgive them if you really don’t.