catherine - charlotte, North Carolina

“To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong”, as said by Joseph Chilton Pearce. Setting yourself apart from the majority is an arduous task, especially when they consider what you’re doing is the “wrong” or unconventional way. Without confidence of going against the grain and being avant-garde, all originality and even brilliant thoughts and contributions to society would cease to exist. What if Picasso faltered at the will of the public? Inspiration and a real chain reaction of people who think “hmm…it’s ok to be different for benefit of the greater good” would possibly not happen after being instilled with fear of rejection and humiliation. Creativity is about breaking out of established patterns and redundancy in order to view things in a different way no matter how distorted the looking glass is. Art is a domain for personal expression and the way the artist percepts all facets of his/her existence; just the artist’s personal insight, not his/her peers, not anybody else’s. As an artist, I must let my inhibitions go, and desist desperately seeking the ratifications of others. It is sometimes a lesson of futility to come to terms with people not understanding my work or dismissing it as “weird”. People are afraid of what they do not understand, but there are some who are appreciative and find it intriguing. However, I aspire to transcend all invisible expectations and consistently innovate.

In my artistic beginnings, it was tiring copying pictures of beach scenes and cats in flower pots and making pretty, but generic compositions to fit the cookie-cutter mold in my art class. It was as if I was spoon-feeding prospectors the same old recycled formula, and they have been mindlessly ingesting it countless times for the simple lack of a better option. It seemed like there was no point to art if I couldn’t experiment and put into focus my apprehension of the everything. Later through high school, I would soon discover the fact that there was no official rule book on how to convey a concept the “right” or “wrong” way. It was all relative to the observer, and I just didn’t care. After all, bizarreness has magnitude whereas the mundane is evanescent. “There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”, as said by Francis Bacon. It is simple, but dimensional. For too long society had settled on the opposite that. It is up to the individual to choose whether or not to give in to self-limitations because of exterior circumstances, but I choose to listen to my inner instincts as an artist.