Dean - Matthews, North Carolina

Some people are your true friends and others are just there for the perks of being your friend and getting things that they might not get if they weren’t your friend. The kind of people who will only be around when things are good, but the second things get bad they won’t even acknowledge your presence. When the chips are down is when your true friends will be found. It may seem that you might have a lot of friends. Some are your true friends and want to be around you and want nothing but your friendship in return. I have had experience with both kinds of people.

For example when my dog Vinton died I was so depressed that I didn’t want to leave the house for days. He was my best friend, my shoulder to cry on, and he was gone. Some of my true friends came over and tried to comfort me and try to make me have a good time. They would sit with me and just let me cry my eyes out and then I would calm down and start to have some fun.

Another time was when one of my friends was in a really bad mood because she had found out that her boyfriend was cheating on her with another girl. I hate it when my friends are upset so instead of having a down day I got some of our other friends together and we had a girl’s day out. We had ice cream and I told my dumbest, lamest jokes just to get her to smile or tell me something that would get even the slightest smile or grin on her face. We even did some crazy things that we would never do in any other circumstances. We finally got her to smile and relax and have a good time.

A time where I had a bad experience, where some people think that they can take advantage of you just for the heck of it. My experience happened when I was in seventh grade. This kid who wasn’t really my friend but we were somewhat nice to each other. He always came to me begging to barrow money for lunch. I felt bad for him, he gave me this sob story and he knew I was a little too trusting to some people, so I gave him some money every day. Then I soon found out that he was just lying to get some money. I was hurt that someone who I thought was my friend would just lie to get something from me when I would have said yes if he had just asked me instead of lying.

I am not saying don’t trust any one because then you wont have any friends to count on if you are in trouble, I am saying wait till the chips are down, then your true friends will be found!