andreas - centeniall, Colorado

Camera Girl

Have you ever been judged because of the way you look? Or maybe the way you dress? Or even possibly by the things you do? Well as a skater I experience this kind of agitating behavior everyday I step out of my house. Every day when I go skating me and my friends get kicked out of almost every single place we go. Why is this? Are we hurting anyone by staying physically active? I think not.

Sometimes we even have people who call the cops on us because were skating. For example, over the summer me and my friends were skating a ledge in downtown Littleton out of nowhere this mid-aged women steps out from behind a bush and starts taking pictures of us. Soon after that she told us she was going to have us arrested. So as ususal we left but she kept fallowing us and taking more pictures. Why do people do such things? Did we really do something to anger the person so much that they would do this?

Sometimes people don’t only call the cops. Sometimes they use physical force. One time me and a few friends were skating by albertsons and this man comes out of one of the stores grabs my friend and starts yelling at him of course we yelled back at the man telling him to let go of our friend. Maybe a minute after the man left rushing towards his car sense we threatened to call the police. What would make a full grown man use not only verbal but physical abuse on a teenager? Is skating a good enough reason to do such things? Are we really that much different than someone who plays basketball or even football?

Over the period of which I’ve skated I’ve come to realize something that is truly important to me. Which is to not judge people at first glance. Just because you wear tight pants dose not neccasarily mean your Emo. Just because your different dose not mean you’re a bad person. And just because your from a different place dose that really make you that much different from the rest of us? And we all know the answer to this question. But if we truly know this answer than why do we continue such behavior? Why do people, even to this day think that judging is an accurate way to make conclusions about somebody? That I cannot tell you but as someone that has to go through such things everyday I truly understand that sayings such as don’t judge a book by its cover and now I truly understand the message.