Matthew - Littleton, Colorado

Things Happen for a Reason

I went on vacation once, and we were just finishing off our fifth and final destination to San Francisco. I was just with my mom and we took the Cal-train to the town we were staying at. So we got in the train car and we started hearing the conductor’s voice greeting everyone coming onto the train in an excited, energetic voice, always making some small talk comment if he knew the guy. He came back to our seat and started talking to us once the train started rolling. “I’ve never seen you folks before, where ya from?” he said. We started sharing stories, and had a nice conversation.

About a quarter of the way through, the train in front of us broke down. “Great,” we thought. “Now we’re going to be late.” But it turned out to be the best thing that could ever happen.

We made friends with about everyone on the car. We were all talking and sharing food, and we almost forgot we weren’t moving. The train eventually got rolling again. When we stopped at our town we said goodbye to the conductor and the strangers we had only met that day, and set off for the hotel. We were both amazed at the kindness and friendship that was generated on the train.

A funny thing happened that day. Everyone seemed to connect and feel comfortable around each other on that train in a way I can’t explain. It was like we had all known each other for a long time. Even though we were complete strangers, we acted as though we were a family. It was like the normal social laws of generally being shy around strangers didn’t apply.

I learned something that day. I learned to slow down and enjoy life for what it is. I learned that fate can be a curios thing. I also learned about courtesy, and to open myself up. But most of all, I learned your family doesn’t always have to be your siblings or parents or relatives, it’s the people respect you, care about you, and can be a true friend.

I wonder till this day; how is it that fate put us on that train, on that day, at that time; and how is it that the train stopped so that we could slow down, relax, and live life for what it is? Was it fate? Did that happen for a reason? I think so.

I believe that some things are destined to happen, and we are destined to learn from them, and that events like these, shape our lives.