Francesca - Gilbert, Arizona
Themes: family, respect

I consider myself a respectful person. It’s always important to be respectful of others and their feelings. I believe in respect.

When I was in seventh grade, I did not care what I did as long as I got my way. I would do my chores until I wanted to, which was never. When my parents would tell me to do something and I did not want to do it, I would just stare at them like they were crazy just for asking me. In school, I would act like I was listening to my teachers, but I really was not and I was not giving them the right respect they deserved.

Now that I’m a sophomore, I look at my sister who is in eighth grade and going through the same phase. For example, my mom told her to clean her room and my sister, Mikaela, stood there looking at my mom. So my mom repeated “Mikaela, go clean your room.” “No.” Mikaela said, “I do not want to do it.” Just watching her makes me feel bad for what I did when I was her age.

Everyday she fights with my parents and I just think to myself “I can not believe I did this when I was her age.” I was so disrespectful to everyone around me and that isn’t right. I have to change the way I act, even if I acted that way two years ago.

Now every time I just want to argue with my parents, sisters, friends, and or classmates, I count to 10 and it really does help. It helps me think “OK Francesca, this is not respectful. I have to think about what I’m about to do and make sure it is respectful to others around me.” It is not easy to be respectful 24-7, but it just takes practice. Everyone deserves respect.