Chelsea - Centennial, Colorado

Don’t Let Others Put You Down

“Don’t let her put you down,” is what my parents always tell me. This was especially true last year when my best friend and I got in a big fight. This fight just so happened to be about soccer. She had just quit the team and was mad that I didn’t quit with her. I love playing soccer, so I wasn’t going to do that. Soccer is the sport that I want to do in high school and hopefully college and I am working really hard to make that happen.

One day I was talking to my friend and she got really mad about something. She started telling me that I’m bad at soccer and that I shouldn’t expect anything out of it because it is really hard to make it to professional women’s soccer. I understand that I probably won’t become a professional soccer player but it is another way for me to go to a good college. My friend also told me that I should just become a janitor at a fast food restaurant because I’m not going to get anywhere in life. Usually I would just let it go and move on with my life, but she kept on going.

My friend started telling me about how I’m not working hard at soccer and how much she thinks my team sucks. I had heard enough. I told her that I didn’t want to be friends with her anymore. I hate it when people tell me what I can and can’t do. At that point I was really upset. My dad walked into the room and told me, “Stop talking to her. All she is doing is putting you down and its making you more upset.” So I listened to him and stopped talking to her.

I believe that words do hurt and that you can’t let other people put you down. I have learned to forget the things that other people say and to just let them go. My friend and I talked about everything that happened and she apologized and we are friends now. So forgive and forget, for everybody makes mistakes but never let others put you down. Not everyone will like me but I shouldn’t let that bother me. This I believe.